• 1-2 tsp olive or coconut oil
• 1 shallot, diced
• 2 cups old fashioned oats
• 1/2 cup ground walnuts
• 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and well drained
• 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (almond, coconut, oat or cashew)
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp dried sage
• 1/2 tsp natural, unprocessed sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the shallot and saute, stirring for about 10 minutes until very tender and lightly golden brown.
2. Combine the oats and ground walnuts in a large bowl.
3. Place the chickpeas, milk and seasonings in a blender and process until very smooth and creamy.
4. Once smooth, pour this liquid mixture into oats and walnuts. Add in the browned shallot and mix well. Allow this mixture to rest for 5 or 10 minutes so the oats absorb the liquid.
5. Form into 6-8 thin, flat patties. In the same skillet, add the burgers, lower heat to medium-low, and brown them for 5-7 minutes on each side, flipping once.
6. Top with your favorite burger toppings and enjoy!
|Makes 6-8 burgers