- 1 large or 2 small butternut squash (about 3 pounds), halved vertically and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 large shallot bulb, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon organic maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Up to 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable or chicken bone broth
- 1/2 can of full fat coconut milk (optional)
Roast the squash until tender. You can also buy 2 packages of pre-cut butternut squash cubes and roast them. Both ways work well. While squash is roasting, saute shallot and garlic in oil until softened and fragrant.
Add softened shallot and garlic, roasted squash and several cups of broth and coconut milk if you are using to your high speed blender. Blend (in batches if necessary so as not to overfill blender) until creamy. Return to the pot, season and heat through.
If you don't have one, put everything in the soup pot and simmer to let flavors meld and use an immersion blender to puree it all.