This recipe is from the Modern Farmer:
- 8 cups water
- 4 large reishi mushroom slices
- 8 to 10 shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dried chaga mushrooms
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup celery with tops, roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrots, roughly chopped
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp white or red miso paste
1. Place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker on low. Cook for 3 hours, stirring once every hour.
2. Strain contents through a sieve. Reserve broth. Discard everything except for the shiitake mushrooms, which can be saved for future dishes.